Sunday, February 19, 2012

Rockin' Green

"Rockin’ Green is an award-winning manufacturer of eco-friendly cleaning products designed to make cleaning easier and greener. Most well-known for their clean-rinsing laundry detergent formulated for use on all fabrics and especially useful on cloth diapers, Rockin’ Green produces detergents for hard, soft and normal water conditions (known as Hard, Soft and Classic Rock varieties).

Rockin’ Green also carries Funk Rock, a first-of-its kind natural ammonia bouncer, and Melody, an odor-neutralizer and air freshener home spray. With the exception of Funk Rock, all products come in seven natural scents, such as Mighty Mighty Marshmallow, Earth Wind & Orchids, Rage Against the Raspberry, and Bare Naked Babies (unscented)."

After cloth diapering for 3 weeks, some of our diapers were starting to get a funky smell to them. I've been washing them religiously every 1-3 days so I don't know what I could have been doing wrong but I couldn't take the smell much longer. I did some research and after reading mixed reviews on Rockin' Green, I thought it might be worth a try so I contacted the company to find out which formula would be best and they were gracious enough to send me a couple samples.

Yesterday was laundry day for the diapers so I did what I had been doing for the past few weeks and checked the mail after I threw them in the wash. Surprisingly, the samples of Rockin' Green were in the mail after just being mailed out on Thursday! I was itching to try it but decided I'd wait until it was time to do another load of diapers. Well, when the diapers were done in the wash (using my regular routine) I did the sniff test and they did. not. pass. That's when I decided it was time to "rock a soak" to try to get rid of the smell and the build-up that was causing the smell.

I filled the tub with warm water and added 2 tbsp. of Rockin' Green Hard Rock and put the diapers and liners in. I let them soak for about an hour and a half, swishing them around every half hour, and then I squeezed a little bit of water out (not all of it but enough that I was able to carry the basket back to the laundry room in our building without straining) and ran two full cycles in the washer. When I took them out of the washer there was no smell. I knew the real test would be smelling them when they came out of the dryer. The "barnyard" smell used to hit me in the face when I'd open the dryer. I was so relieved when I opened the dryer and I wasn't hit with that offensive smell. When I was putting the liners back in the diapers, I did notice a couple of them still had a very slight odor but unless you have the diaper up to your face smelling it, you don't notice it. I'm sure if I rock another soak, maybe for an hour or two longer, the smell will be completely gone.

I'm sure you might be wondering what the cost is like for a bag of Rockin' Green. Depending on which formula you get, Rockin' Green costs between $14.95-$15.95 and you can get at least 45 loads from one bag. They also have a magnetic laundry scoop that is designed to conveniently stick to the side of your washing machine. I plan on continuing to use Rockin' Green and I'll do another post in a few weeks to let you know how I like it after using it for an extended period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment