Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Not the cloth diapers your Momma used to use...

Have you seen all of the cloth diapers that are on the market now? They're nothing like the cloth diapers that your Momma used to use! It used to be that when I heard "cloth diapers", I'd think of the "two p's": pins and plastic pants. It just seemed like too much of a hassle if you ask me and I really didn't trust myself with a sharp pin around my newborn at 3 o'clock in the morning when I can barely keep my eyes open! Not to mention that my son started taking things apart from about 9 months+. The last thing he needed in his hands was a sharp diaper pin!


The first time I saw a pocket diaper, I couldn't believe my eyes. The way you put them on is along the same lines of a disposable. The difference? Instead of tabs that stick to the diapers, the diaper I saw used snaps. I will admit that looking at some pocket diapers can be a little overwhelming at first with all of the snaps that are on there but I promise you, they are so. easy. to. use. 

One of my favorite Bubbz patterns,
Super Starz.
 The 3 rows of snaps allow
you to adjust the rise of the diaper and
there are more snaps across the top that
allow you to adjust the waist size.
I got my cloth diapers from two different places. The first store I ordered from was Bubbz Diapers. Their diapers are fleece lined and have a snap-in insert. They are also double gusseted which is great because it adds a little extra protection from leaks. The Bubbz were $19.99 a piece when I ordered them but the owner offered a package deal where I got a discount off the regular price. Most of my cloth diapers stash is Bubbz. The absorbency of these diapers is awesome. My daughter is a heavy wetter and the only time we've had a leak was when she slept 7 hours one night without waking up and that was no fault of the diaper (I'm also not going to complain about it because we never got 7 hours of sleep from our son when he was two months old...try 9 or 10 months!). I know the leak would have been much worse had she been in disposables. For a better idea of what these diapers look like and an explanation of how they're designed to provide the best protection from leaks, click here.

The second shop I ordered from was Kebbie's Diaper Bag. They offer a great selection of cloth diapers at a great price. I got a couple of their single gusset and a couple double gusset diapers. Depending on which diaper you order, they either have a suedecloth or a fleece lining and come with a bamboo and microfleece insert. The inserts don't snap in but I really haven't had any problem with them moving around. The diapers from KDB are also very absorbent. I only have a few of these ones but they have been put to the test between blowouts and our heavy wetter and they have done great! KDB also works with another work at home mom (WAHM) and offers Scarlet's Hiney Honey which is a cloth diaper friendly rash cream as well as Scarlet's Hiney Honey Wipes Solution Cubes.

The owner of these shops is amazing. She answered all my questions before my purchase and has answered questions I've had since then such as how to wash them and how to get stains out. We're almost two weeks into cloth diapering and we love it. What's even better is that we aren't throwing money away every time we change a diaper, we have great protection against leaks, and we don't have to worry about those crunchy plastic pants or sticking our daughter with a diaper pin. Just snap them on and go!

**This was not a paid post. The opinions above are my own. Since I wrote this post, some things have changed at Kebbie's Diaper Bag. They now carry the Bubbz diapers and are currently working on re-designing their shop.**

No comments:

Post a Comment